Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sometimes adulthood is scary ...

Something happened last night that I feel compelled to write about.  You see, about a month ago, my niece and nephew came to visit me from New York.  They are both young adults and just like their other four siblings, they are always welcome in my home.
Now, if you have ever spent "any" time in my home, you would know that I only have one rule ... no drinking ... ever!  You don't have to contribute any money to the house, you can eat whatever you want and cleaning is your option, depending on how long you want to root in your own garbage (I don't clean anyone else's room).  Just follow that one rule, and I'm cooler that an icicle on a hot summer day.
Last night, that rule was broken.  And, broken to such an extent that I had an immediate and uncomfortable flashback.
When I was growing up, my Father was an alcoholic.  He wasn't a mean drunk ... not by far ... but he was an annoying drunk.  Singing, crying, repeating himself before he fell down somewhere and passed out.  My sister and I, both very young at the time, would hide in our room, under the covers of our bed.  It wasn't that we were afraid of him, we were afraid of not having any control of the situation.  It was a feeling of helplessness and hopelessness that I thought I would never feel again.  Especially, after my husband swore off all alcohol 1 year into our 25 year marriage.  Last night brought all that back to me.
This morning, after puking all over the spare bathroom (no I WON'T clean that either) my husband and I spoke with my nephew.  We explained our one rule, once again.  Only this time, we told him, the next time would be it ... end of the line, shit, shower and pack your bags.  We'll drive you to the nearest Greyhound station.
Do I feel bad about my ultimatum?  No, I felt worse last night under the covers.  Do I love him less?  Not possible.  My nieces and nephews are the children I never had.  They mean the world to me and I love them unconditionally. 
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is ... Drinking sucks!  My nephew disappointed me, but I know he's better than his behavior.  And, lastly, I wish I could do my childhood over and make all the nightmares go away.  But then, come to think of it ... why would you read my stuff anymore.

No comments: